| CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SELF-LIFE |
Christian, Do You Harbor Any Of These Unchristian Characteristics?
- A secret spirit of pride or an exalted feeling of yourself in view of your success or position. Taking pride of your good training, appearance or your natural gifts and abilities. Entertain a self-reliant, independent spirit? Pro. 16:18, Pro. 20:6; Rom. 12:3; James 4:6-8.
- Love of human praise; a secret fondness and desire to be noticed; love of supremacy; drawing attention to self in conversation, appearance, or conduct; a swelling out of self when you have a specialopen door in public speaking or praying? John 5:44, John 12:42-43; 1Cor. 13:4.
- The stirrings of anger or impatience at others which you piously call “ nervousness” or “ holy indignation” ; a touchy, sensitive spirit; a disposition to resent and retaliate when disapproved of, corrected, or contradicted; a desire to throw sharp, heated remarks at another; a defensive, vindictive, critical spirit? Psa. 37:8; Eccl. 7:9; Luke 21:19; James 1:19; Rom. 5:3.
- Self-will; a stubborn, unteachable spirit; an arguing, talkative spirit; harsh, sarcastic expressions; an unyielding, headstrong disposition; refusing or grudgingly admiting wrong; a driving, commanding spirit; a disposition to criticize and pick flaws at others when you are set aside and unnoticed; a peevish, fretful spirit; a disposition that loves to be coaxed and humored? Deut. 1:43; Mal. 2:2; James 3:17; 2Pet. 2:10.
- Carnal fear; a man-fearing spirit; fear of losing worldly, carnal things; a secret fear of speaking for or being associated with Christ and His word; a shrinking from reproach and duty; reasoning around your cross; a shrinking from doing your whole duty to those of wealth or position or poor and needy; a fearfulness that someone will offend and drive some prominate person away; an undue compromising spirit? 1Sam. 15:24; Pro. 29:25; Gal. 2:12; 1John 4:18.
- A jealous disposition; a secret envy in your heart; an unpleasant sensation in view of the prosperity and success of others; a disposition to speak of the faults and failings rather that the gifts and virtues of those more talented and appreciated than yourself? Gen. 26:12-16; 1Sam. 18:8-9; Pro. 6:34, Pro. 14:30; Matt. 21:15; Rom. 12:9-10.
- A dishonest and deceitful disposition; the evading and covering of the truth; the covering up of your real faults; leaving a better impression of yourself than is strictly true; false humility; exaggeration, straining the truth; blaming others alone while you share the blame? Psa. 15:2-3; Isa. 29:13; Jer. 17:9; Matt. 23:28; Luke 22:48; Acts 5:2-3; 1Tim. 4:2.
- Unbelief; a spirit of discouragement in times of pressure and opposition; lack of quietness and confidence in God; lack of faith and trust in God; a disposition to worry and complain in the midst of pain, poverty, or at the dispensations of divine Providence; an overanxious feeling whether everything will come out all right? Isa. 7:9; Luke 12:28-30; 1Cor. 2:14; 2Cor. 5:6; Heb. 11:6; 1Pet. 5:7.
- Formality and deadness; lack of compassion and concern for lost souls; dryness and indifference; lack of zeal and power with God? Matt. 15:14; 2Tim. 3:5; Rev. 2:4, Rev. 3:1.
- Selfishness; love of ease; love of money; love of your own time; value yourself above others; a secret desire for worldly things and ways? Luke 12:19-21; 1Tim. 6:10-11; Amos 6:1-6.
"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me..." Psa. 139:23-24