Those Pesky "Flat-Earthers"
For the most part we have been addressing the "global"
Geocentrists; those who believe the earth is a globe or ball. The
other Geocentrism faction is the Flat-Earth variety. Concerning
strict Geocentrism they believe essentially the samethe earth is
stable and the universe rotates around it. The only real
difference between them is the shape of the earth. Thus, they have
the great majority of their cosmology in common.
Nevertheless, the Flat-Earthers and "globals" are rivals for the
"truth." The "globals" think the "pancakers" are unscientific and
the pancakers think the globals are afraid to fully believe the
Bible. Watching them argue is like watching two drunken brothers
Curiously, the Flat-Earthers have been gaining disciples in the
last few years while the ball-earthers have remained fairly
stagnant or even lost some members. As we mentioned the modern
version of Geocentrism is only around 30-40 years old, but the
current Flat-Earthism is only around 15 years old. It does not
take much examination to realize that Flat-Earthism is an offshoot
of strict Geocentrism.
Ironically, the global Geocentrists insistence that certain terms
in the Bible like "sunrise," the earth not moving, the sun stood
still, etc., must be taken literally has encouraged the Flat-Earth
crowd in their beliefs. They simply take more verses literal than
their global brothers. Maybe THEY are the ultimate Bible
The Flat-Earthers' beliefs are short and simple. Here is a brief
list in their own words,
As for their Scriptural arguments, they do have them, and they are
as "sound" as any other Geocentrist argument.
- The earth is flat and finite. Its boundary may be
circular, but the earth is most certainly not a sphere as
was hypothesized by Eratosthenes. The placement of globes in
public classrooms can only serve to promote ecology as a
possible state religion.
- The sky is the roof over the earth a solid impervious
barrier that protects both believers and non-believers from
the waters beyond.
- The stars on the sky are much smaller than the earth.
(The word "on" is not a typographical error here.) The
notion of "distant suns" is nothing more than a theory
entertained by misguided scientists.
- The laws of physics as they exist on the earth are
different from those of the sun, moon, stars, and planets.
To show that the earth is flat they use
To show the extent of the earth, that it has "ends," they use,
- Job 28:24 "For he looketh to the ends of the earth, and seeth
the whole heaven;"
- Psa 19:6 "...and his circuit unto the ends of it: and
there is nothing hid from the heat thereof."
- Dan 4:11 "...and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and
sight thereof to the end of all the earth:"
- Mat 4:8 "...and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the
world, and the glory of them;"
- Isa 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the
- Psa 136:6 "To him that stretched out the earth
above the waters...."
- Isa 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer...that spreadeth
the earth by myself;"
They also use the verses speaking about the "foundations" of the
earth, the "pillars" of the earth, and so on. As for the nature of
the sky, they insist it is solid and like a tent or dome which we
all live under.
- Psa 103:12 "As far as the east is from the west, so
far hath he removed our transgressions from us."
- Deu 28:64 "And the LORD shall scatter thee among all
people, from the one end of the earth even unto the
- Deu 33:17 "...with them he shall push the people together to
ends of the earth.... (Also, 1Sa 2:10, Job 28:24 Job
38:13, Psa 46:9, Isa 41:9, Jer 51:16, etc.)"
- Psa 19:4 "Their line is gone out through all the earth, and
words to the end of the world...."
- Psa 22:27 "All the ends of the world shall
- Dan 4:11 "...and the sight thereof to the end of all the
- Mar 13:27 "And then shall he send his angels, and shall
gather together his elect from the four winds, from the
uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven."
Concerning the stars they insist,
- Job 22:14 "Thick clouds are a covering to him, that he
seeth not; and he walketh in the circuit of heaven."
- Pro 8:27 "When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when
he set a compass upon the face of the depth:"
- Isa 48:13 "Mine hand also hath laid the foundation of the
earth, and my right hand hath spanned the heavens:..."
"The stars are exactly as they
appear mere points of light fastened to the sky that would
fall to earth were they ever dislodged. Distant suns, far larger
than the earth could not fall to earth but small points of light
Their verses for this are obvious,
You should see where they are coming from. They take verses that
are figurative and relative and treat them as absolutely literal.
They put their global Geocentrist brethren to shame when it comes
to taking the Bible literally...and it seems to make some of
the globalists "knash at their teeth." They are supposed to
be the "literal" ones! They can't be upstaged by the
scientifically ignorant who appear more "biblical."
- Dan 8:10 "...and it cast down some of the host and of the
stars to the ground, and stamped upon them."
- Mat 24:29 "...and the stars shall fall from heaven, and
the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:"
- Mar 13:25 "And the stars of heaven shall fall...."
- Rev 6:13 "And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth...."
- Rev 12:4 "And his tail drew the third part of the stars of
heaven, and did cast them to the earth...."
Ironically, the global Geocentrists don't really have any
Scriptural argument against the Flat-Earthers. Yes, a few try to
come up with some like claiming there is no sunrise or sunset in a
Flat-Earth view, but that is merely an act of desperation with no
sound basis. As we mentioned earlier, the sun does "rise" in a
Flat-Earth model. It rises over one's head from the east horizon
and goes down to the west horizon every day.
The only real arguments the globalists can present are practical,
visual, or "scientific" in nature. The Bible doesn't aid them in
this regard one bit.
We will have more on the Flat-Earth under the following Science